Conquer Kilimanjaro – Rongai Route
Let us go on an adventure to the side of East Africa where the lavish landscapes, wondrous wildlife and the ever passionate people come together to make the music called life.
Are you ready to take on the challenge of standing on the “Roof of Africa”?
Join us on a once in a lifetime experience as we ascend Africa’s highest mountain, Mount Kilimanjaro. We’ll help you plan the climb that gives you the best chance of reaching the summit.
The hike is led by experienced expert guides and you will also be assisted by a friendly crew of mountaineers to ensure your Kilimanjaro experience is truly unforgettable.
Details & Itinerary
The Rongai route is Kilimanjaro’s only route beginning from the north side, close to the Kenyan border. The Route affords the opportunity to view the Mawenzi volcano, the second highest peak of Kilimanjaro, and the magnificent saddle between Mawenzi and Kibo Peak. Due to the rugged terrain and the very limited acclimatization time, fitness plays a huge role in the success of this trek.
- Day 1: Rongai Gate to Rongai Cave (6,398 ft to 9,300 ft)
- Day 2: Rongai Cave to to Kikelewa Cave (9,300 ft to 11,811 ft)
- Day 3: Kikelewa Cave to Mawenzi Tarn (11,811 ft to 14,160 ft)
- Day 4: Mawenzi Tarn to Mawenzi Ridge to Mawenzi Tarn (Extra acclimatization day)
- Day 5: Marwenzi Tarn to Kibo Hut (14,160 ft to 15,430 ft)
- Day 6: Kibo Hut to Uhuru Peak to Horombo Hut (15,430 ft to 19,341 ft to 12,250 ft)
- Day 7: Horombo Hut to Marangu Gate (12,205 ft to 6,046 ft)
Contact a Travel Specialist
At Akara Expeditions, we believe your trip should be designed just for you. The above expedition is an example showcasing available experience combinations that you can use to create your expedition with one of our dedicated Travel Specialists.